Zhiyu Hu Biograph
Attorney (Admitted in DC, NY & NJ; U.S. Supreme Court)
(JD, USA; Lic. Iur., Germany; B.A. China)
Visiting Professor (Peking University and Wuhan University)
Office address: 151 Washington Ave., Edison NJ 08817
Tel: (732) 819-8839 Fax: (732) 572-7979;
Email:Zhiyuhu@aol.com; website: www.lawyerhu.com
Personal: married with two children attending Edison NJ schools
Resident in Edison since September 1994 and care and contribute a lot in Edison
Vanderbilt University School of Law, Nashville, TN, J.D. degree, May 1993
Activities: International Law Society; Vanderbilt Intellectual Property Society Federalist Society
• Business manager and staff Writer of Vanderbilt International (Newsletter)
• Research assistant – Professor of International Law and director of law library: Legal Citation Dictionary ("Bieber Book"), a companion book for the "Bluebook"; Co-Compiler, World Dictionary of Legal Abbreviations (German Section)
Harvard University Law School, Cambridge, MA
Certificate of Lawyers Program (Summer 1990)
Saarland University School of Law, Germany
Lic.Iur.(4/85-2/1989)- equivalent to U.S. J.D. degree;
Also, Study of EEC law, Common Law, international and comparative law for Master of European Law Degree. (Europa-Institute, 1985-1989)
Wuhan University School of Law, China
Selected and awarded Konrad-Adenauer Foundation Scholarship to study law in Germany after receiving the highest score in National Law School Admission Exam in China in 1983.
Wuhan University, Wuhan, China (9/79-7/83)
B.A.(Major in English and took 1/2 of all undergraduate courses in Law School)
Law Offices of Zhiyu Hu, President and Managing Attorney, Edison, New Jersey and New York, NY (1/95- present)
General practice with concentration on immigration. Other areas include corporate, real estate, family matter, intellectual property, debt collection, international trade, and civil litigation., some criminal cases
Rubin, Rubin, Kaplan & Kuhn, Piscataway, New Jersey (1994)
Associate Attorney: Immigration and international trade & China business
Stotsenburg & Stotsenburg, New York, NY (Summers 91, 92 & 93)
Law clerk: Worked on administration of class claims in securities class action litigation and other matters.
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee, Nashville, TN (Summer 1992)
Judicial Intern: Judge Thomas Higgins: wrote opinions on employment law (involving new theory, published in 59 Fair Empl. Prac. Cas. (BNA) 60-63)), Fourth Amendment of U.S. Constitution and Copyright cases, and observed trials.
White & Case, New York, N.Y. (2/91-5/91)
Legal Assistant: conducted research and managed documents for securities law litigation involving savings and loan businesses.
Radon & Ishizumi, New York, N.Y. (2/90 - 2/91)
Associate: Responsibilities included drafting of contracts, incorporation papers, stockholder and joint venture agreements. Also worked in the areas of immigration, international treaties, intellectual property (many German & Japanese clients), and real estate.
United Nations, Office of Legal Affairs, Secretariat, New York, N.Y. (9/89 - 7/90)
Legal Intern: Research and writing memoranda in international law, including jurisdictional questions of The International Court of Justice and International arbitral tribunals; the United Nations peace-keeping operations and international environmental law.
Puender, Volhard, Weber & Axter, Frankfurt, Germany (4-5/89)
Counseling and writing memoranda on products liability including comparison with U.S. and EEC laws and on corporate law of Belgium, Germany and China.
HONORS AND AWARDS
• China has issued postage stamps in my honor (great and rare honor) in Feb. 2009
• Wuhan University Outstanding Alumni Award (2010)
• The new street in my hometown renamed Zhiyu Street, The Primary school and High School in my hometown have been named after my name “Zhiyu Primary School” and Zhiyu High School to honor my success and model role; established Zhiyu Scholarships sponsoring primary school, high schools, many organizations/communities
• Wuhan City Table Tennis Team (produced three world champions) renamed after my name ( known as Wuhan City Zhiyu Table Tennis Team)
• Serves a legal counsel to various schools, organizations including chambers of commerce, communities, publishers/magazines in the US
• (Community Service) Award by many organizations (eg Asian American heritage Council NJ and NJ Chinese American Chamber of Commerce), North American Chinese Alliance, etc.
• Outstanding Achievement Award for poem "Love Will Never Die" in the 1994 North American Open Poetry Contest and nominated a member of the International Society of Poets
• Awarded the German Konrad-Adenauer Foundation Scholarship (1984-1989) based on highest score in Law School Admission Exams in China
• First Prize for essay contest with article "Cooperation between the youth in the West and the East" in connection with The International Year of Youth declared by the U.N.(1985)
• Outstanding Achievement Award by North American Chinese Alliance in Canada
• Zhiyu Cup Table Tennis Tournaments in New Jersey/NY since 1999
• Various magazines/newspapers featured reports on my success and contributions to society/education/communities (US and China).
• Sponsor various schools and/or serve as legal advisor to many non-profit schools such as Huaxia Chinese School, Everbright Chinese School, Yinghua Chinese School in New Jersey; CLTA-GNY, help many other organizations/community events, as well as schools in China
• Help many people in need of legal assistance (visiting and consulting in prisons) or other social and personal assistance
LANGUAGES AND LANGUAGE STUDIES
• Fluent in English, German and Chinese (Mandarin); some French, Spanish and Cantonese.
• Certified Interpreter & Translation by German courts.
Hobbies: Collection of artwork, playing good table tennis
Has given many talks/lectures at government agencies and universities, communities, organizations (such as China Institute in NYC) in the US and China;
• Publishing articles on U.S immigration Laws and other laws in Chinese Newspapers/Journals, TVs in U.S. and China.
• Outstanding Achievement Award-winning poem "Love Will Never Die"in the 1994 North American Open Poetry Contest and nominated a member of the International Society of Poets
• Book Elvis and the Law (manuscript)
• Development of the Chinese Legal Systems, in Vanderbilt International (February 1993, in English)
• Legal Education in Germany, in Vanderbilt International (November 1992, in English)
• U.N. Internships: An Alternative to Traditional Legal Employment, in Vanderbilt International (October 1992, in English)
• Co-authored (with Nico Spiegel): Section titled the Supplemental Civil Action Procedure in the Criminal Procedure Law of PRC in the book Compensatory Damages in Criminal Processing edited by Professor Michael R. Will (Spring 1991, in German)
• Five articles on EC law, in Economy and Law Journal in Hong Kong (1989-1990, in Chinese)
• On the Citizenry Education in Germany, in Journal of Western European Studies (Beijing/December 1989, in Chinese)
• Co-authored with Roy S. Lee, Principal Legal Officer, United Nations): Can the International Court of Justice Be a Court of Appeals for Decisions Made by International Arbitration tribunals? (in English)
• Co-authored (with Jenik Radon): Formal Violations of the Estonian constitution during the Annexation into the U.S.S.R. in 1940 (1991, in English)